Sales & Operations Planning (S&OP) is not a new concept for most Consumer Packaged Goods companies. A monthly meeting where senior management meet to discuss the organization’s performance, S&OP is a vital part of the business alignment process to best achieve top and bottom line targets. According to Gartner, a “demand-driven S&OP processes can improve revenue from 2% to 5%, reduce inventories by 7% to 15% and improve the success of new product launch commercialization by 20%.”1
As vital as it is, however, the S&OP process poses an ongoing challenge for many CPG companies. The issue lies in the use of incomplete and inconsistent information across functions, which stems from:
- Manual compilation & preparation of data for analysis – a laborious and time-intensive process that is susceptible to user error
- Siloed data & lack of cross-functional communication – teams generally use different data sets to assess the health of their individual functions
Moreover, market changes have led to an influx of new, unfamiliar data. For example, in addition to traditional business metrics like inventory, shipment, and retailer direct POS data, there are new data sets to consider such as clickstream and mobile devices.
But there is a solution: a single, central location for data across all business functions as well as third-party data. With quick access to all data sets in one place, teams can seamlessly view, analyze, and share the same information – contributing to a holistic performance analysis and, ultimately, a simplified S&OP process. The CPG company can now focus on creating a focused operating plan to best drive winning results.
SIMPLIFY YOUR S&OP PROCESS WITH AN EASY TO USE ANALYTICS SOLUTION
Download this whitepaper to learn:
- Common S&OP process challenges for CPG companies
- Ways to cross-functionally streamline the S&OP process
- How a single, analytical platform can help optimize the S&OP process
1 “Toolkit: How Demand Driven is your S&OP Process” Jane Barrett, Gartner, 10 April 2012.